geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeppe Sommer <...@trifork.com>
Subject Re: Question about web app login, user principal, and authentication
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:15:26 GMT
I think that it is possible to read from the servlet spec that
getUserPrincipal should return the current principal for an unprotected
resource. Take the following quote (servlet 2.4, section 12.10):

"Being logged in to a web application corresponds precisely to there
being a valid non-null value in getUserPrincipal method"

There is no mention that this should apply only to protected resources.
So if the user is logged in, getUserPrincipal must return non-null.

Regarding your 3rd alternative (below): I don't see why you want to
re-authenticate the user, including when calling getUserPrincipal during
the request for at an unprotected resource. The realm has already
accepted the credentials, so why check them again, with the risk of a
performance degradation?

I guess my underlying assumption is that the webcontainer will track the
login state/credentials in a session, as suggested by the servlet spec
(also section 12.10).

Cheers, Jeppe