geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@internode.on.net>
Subject Warning regarding Windows file path lengths with JDK 1.4
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 06:46:18 GMT
FYI.. We need to be careful of resulting file path lengths on Windows
when creating web applications that may result in long file paths in
Geronimo due to a JDK 1.4 bug (
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6182812) that has
only been fixed in JDK 1.5_06.

Fom reading the bug and related bugs' descriptions it appears the
Windows JDK will only allow file names less than 260 bytes, otherwise a
FileNotFoundException is thrown.

I initially ran into this JDK bug whilst building geronimo under a long
directory name (see GERONIMO-1428 for details).

On a related note (not due to the JDK bug) I found that if I installed
geronimo from a zip distribution using WinZip (version 10.0 6685) into a
long directory path, WinZip also has problems:

Error:  The system cannot find the path specified.
Cannot create
C:\test\this\is\a\really\long\install\directory\name\to\demonstrate\jdk\bug\6182812\geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT\config-store\28\geronimo-console-standard-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war\WEB-INF\classes\org\apache\geronimo\console\jmsmanager\JMSConnectionFactoryManagerPortlet.class

Regards,

John