geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo Installation Document Section
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:12:30 GMT
I would recommend then not using the term "Installation".  Even with IT
guys this typically implies installing some piece of software to simply
use it ... not to setup for development and building. Perhaps "Setup for
Developers" would be a better heading or if we must continue to use
"Installation" then perhaps extend the heading to "Installation for
Developers".

Joe

Hernan Cunico wrote:
> [...]

>>      >>>> parameters, all at once.
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> There are basically four steps to get the source and build
>>      >>>> Geronimo, so I would focus on those first.
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> 1.- svn checkout
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/
>>      >>>> 1.0.0/ <geronimo_home>
>>      >>>> 2.- cd <geronimo_home>
>>      >>>> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout
>>      >>>> 4.- maven new
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> Then, the next time you want to build you just do an update
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> 1.- cd <geronimo_home>
>>      >>>> 2.- maven m:update
>>      >>>> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout
>>      >>>
>>      >>>
>>      >>>
>>      >>>
>>      >>> Take out #3
>>      >>>
>>      >>>> 4.- maven new
>>      >>>
>>      >>>
>>      >>>
>>      >>>
>>      >>> add -o
>>      >>>
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> (BTW, all the steps should be validated and make sure they

>> are up-
>>      >>>> to-date)
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> Once you explained the basics then you can go more in detail

>> with
>>      >>>> all the other options for retrieving the source code and
>> building
>>      >>>> Geronimo. It would also be nice to include common building

>> errors,
>>      >>>> how to identify them, probable causes and solutions.
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> Again, this is just a suggestion. What you think about this
>>     approach?
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> As for update preference, I think is best to update as you

>> go so
>>      >>>> everybody can test your instructions and provide early comments
>>      >>>> that will make corrections (if any) easier.
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> Cheers!
>>      >>>> Hernan
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>> Jason Lenhart wrote:
>>      >>>>
>>      >>>>> Hi,
>>      >>>>> I am starting on the Installation section of the docs
>>      >>>>> - I have been running around like a maniac doing stuff
>>      >>>>> (mostly holiday things) - so I am a bit slow to
>>      >>>>> produce.  But I am setting aside some time each day to
>>      >>>>> contribute more and more to the docs.  If you start to
>>      >>>>> see me go off base - please feel free to call me out
>>      >>>>> :-D
>>      >>>>> Also - is the preference to complete a section and
>>      >>>>> then update?  I started and updated but it is not
DSL –

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net