geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: geronimo-web.xml, container-config, container-specific namespaces
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:19:50 GMT
Aaron, David, or anyone in the know :-)

Maybe you can help me with this:

I have a WADI demo webapp.

To get it running with Jetty, I need a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml that
looks like this:

<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/jetty-1.0"
configId="wadi">

    <context-root>/wadi</context-root>
    <context-priority-classloader>false</context-priority-classloader>
    <session-manager>org.codehaus.wadi.jetty5.JettyManager</session-manager>

</web-app>

To get it running with Tomcat, I have to have a geronimo-web.xml that
looks like this:

<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/tomcat-1.0"
configId="wadi">

    <context-root>/wadi</context-root>
    <context-priority-classloader>false</context-priority-classloader>
    <manager>WADI</manager>

    <gbean name="WADI"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.WADIGBean"/>

</web-app>

What I would like, is a single geronimo-web.xml that contains both Jetty
and TC configs, merged.

Do you know if this is possible, if so, would you mind pointing me in
the right direction ?

Much appreciated,

Jules

Aaron Mulder wrote:

>David J,
>
>I thought when you added the separate Tomcat and Jetty namespaces, you
>were going to remove the container-config section from the generic
>geronimo-web.xml, but it seems that it's still there.  Jeff thinks
>maybe it's for something like the console, where we want it to work in
>both Tomcat and Jetty yet we might still require some
>container-specific extensions (makes sense to me).
>
>If we're going to keep the generic geronimo-web.xml and keep the
>container-config section in it, can we drop the container-specific
>namespaces?  I think you favored the namespaces because if you use a
>container-specific namespace then any container-specific settings
>could be validated in XML, but I think that's pretty useless if it
>only applies if you're willing to force your app to only deploy in one
>container or the other.  (That is to say, if you want your web app to
>run in either Tomcat or Jetty -- which is probably the normal case,
>then you can't use a container-specific namespace so it doesn't matter
>what the benefits of container-specific namespaces are.)
>
>The only way I can see the container-specific namespaces being
>beneficial is if the container-config became an "any" and then we
>namespaced the content that went within it -- so the overall file
>always used the generic namespace but then you used a
>container-specific one for the contents of the container-config
>element only.
>
>Am I missing something?
>
>Thanks,
>    Aaron