geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: javamail InternetAddress parsing.
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:37:41 GMT

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> 2006/1/4, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com>:
>

>>Nice work.  My preference would be RFC822.  However, I do wonder how
>>many people might get bitten by this - that are depending on the broken
>>behavior.  Sun's JavaMail has been around for quite a while.  Maybe a
>>"org.apache.geronimo.be.broken.like.sun" property to allow people that
>>do depend on it to turn it on?
>

> Seriously, that /might/ be helpful, e.g. while migrating apps to Geronimo.

I was dead serious :)

Right now, it appears that we have more people working on JavaMail
implementation than Sun does.  Granted, theirs is complete, but still.
This is an area where it would be nice to see an OSS community working,
and it's darn useful software as well.

*If* Sun's bug is something people depend on, then we wouldn't want to
make our software unusable by them - we'd also be letting them know
their apps aren't RFC compliant, and they'd have the option to fix at
their choosing.

geir