geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: javamail InternetAddress parsing.
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:54:19 GMT

Rick McGuire wrote:
> I'm trying to write a fuller implementation of the
> InternetAddress.parseHeader() method for the Geronimo javamail
> implementation.  I've been writing some tests to see how the Sun
> javamail implementation is handling various addresses, and then rolling
> these tests into the Geronimo junit tests for InternetAddress.
> While doing this, I ran the existing junit tests against the Sun
> javamail package and discovered that the Sun version failed some of the
> Geronimo unit tests!  Specifically, any of the group address tests in
> InternetAddressTest where the group did not contain a leading phrase did
> not get recognized as a group address.  Thus the tests for ":user@host;"
> and ":user@host, user2@host;" failed when run against the Sun javamail
> version.
>
> It would be fairly simple to fix the Geronimo version to match the Sun
> results and fix the tests as well, but I'm not convinced that either
> version is handling this correctly.  RFC822 specifies that the tag
> phrase before the ":" in an address is required.  So ":user@host;" is
> not a valid group, but "group:user@host'" is.  The Geronimo versions
> appears to be incorrect, both in the implementation and the unit test.
> However, according the Sun version is parsing ":user@host;" as being a
> simple internet address, retaining both the ":" and ";" as part of the
> address.  Strict conformance to RFC822 would consider this to be an
> error rather than a simple address, and I don't believe most mail
> servers would accept that syntax.
> So, what should I target here?  Compatibility with the Sun version, or
> conformance to the RFC822 specification?

Nice work.  My preference would be RFC822.  However, I do wonder how
many people might get bitten by this - that are depending on the broken
behavior.  Sun's JavaMail has been around for quite a while.  Maybe a
"org.apache.geronimo.be.broken.like.sun" property to allow people that
do depend on it to turn it on?

:)

geir