geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: back from hols...
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:30:44 GMT

Jules Gosnell wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> Hi Jules, and welcome back...
>>
>> I think Geronimo integration needs some open discussion.  I think there
>> is general consensus of a wadi configuration and a common
>> geronimo-web.xml integration.  I think there is significant discussion
>> on gbean-izing the Spring configuration for Geronimo.
>>

> yes, but I am not keen on making any further changes until what we
> currently have works.

This is a Geronimo issue, not WADI.  This should not affect the WADI
base whatsoever.  The GBeans belong in Geronimo...so I don't think this
applies here.  There is no reason to wait on this.  I am CCing the G dev
lists with this email.

> I am working on making it work.

I have it working in G/Tomcat.  I can tell you how.

> I will report back to the list when I have results.
>
> After that, I will be open to debate on how we go forward.

Being that this is Geronimo based discussion, this debate belongs on the
 Geronimo lists as well as WADI.  The Geronimo folks need their input on
this.  They should decide on whether we have a common WADI config, which
IIUC is the general direction and advocation of some of the G team.

>> We also need to discuss the steps for moving the code base.
>>
> well, I guess we have delegated that decision to the incubator folks now...

We have delegated the decision for history, not moving what's at HEAD.
That is up to us at the moment.

>>  Bill has
>> already done some significant work, along with working with the Active
>> Cluster guys and submitting patches, etc.  We need to somehow merge from
>> what Bill has done in Apache with the Codehaus stuff.
>
> Thanks Bill,
>
> Why don't we just leave it to Bill to check it in to codehaus ?

Is this not opened up for discussion?  It was my understanding that we
will not be using Codehaus anymore...that we will merge this week.  Is
there a different plan?  I understood that this week would be the
official move.  Do you have a different plan or a plan that works and is
agreed to by the team?

> Bill - are there any issues ?
>
> If we are talking AMQ4, then, I guess we will need a new module - as
> until Geronimo moves onto AMQ4, we will have to support both 3 and 4. I
> was already preparing to split out AMQ3 into another module anyway...

IMHO, we are doing this in Apache, am I missing something here?  I also
think we need to discuss this decision if we are going to support both
AMQ3 and 4.  I think there are a number of folks who want their input on
this.

> Code movement is waiting on the incubator list.

Again..its not...  History is waiting on the incubator list...not HEAD.
 Also, this will probably be moot of we repackage to org.apache.wadi.

> I don't see much point in moving the website until the code is moved,
> since the website is generated from the code and is full of references
> to e.g. mailing lists, code repos etc.

Based on JIRA issue WADI-13 in Codehaus, I think you had better rethink
this decision.  The Apache code has the proper mail-lists, etc...thus
the new web site is correct.  The Apache WADi incubator site is
complete, the Codehaus version is not...it broke when you deployed it
before the holidays.  We *really* need to talk about a merge here.

> Has there been any movement on importing mailing list archives ? I see
> this as an important step in completing the xfer of the mailing lists.

IMHO there is little value to holding up the move based on this.  The
WADI codehaus mailing lists do not have very much history at all and at
the very minimum, we have GMane.  Lets not make this a sticking point.