geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: -1 on checkin of 368344 was Re: [wadi-dev] Clustering: WADI/Geronimo integrations.
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:47:38 GMT
I agree with Jeff that this change is unsatisfactory but I'm not as
sure as he is that backing it out is necessary, perhaps we can move
forward to an acceptable solution instead.

I also am not so sure that this magnitude of change needs prior
discussion on the list.  I've frequently made larger changes without
discussion of my specific code.  I've also broken lots of stuff at
various times.

One thing I insist on is that it be possible to run geronimo with no
clustering support whatsoever, including no clustering classes
anywhere in the geronimo system.  I believe this means that each
clustering system has to be installed as a configuration.  Doing this
right now as the first step will I think help focus the rest of the
componentization.

I don't understand the requirements very well, I hope for some answers:

- do we need to support running more than one clustering system with
a particular web container instance (e.g. JettyContainerImpl gbean
instance)?  I'm hoping "no"

IIUC we are installing clustering as a session manager.  Perhaps I
don't understand the code but it looks to me as if the jetty code at
least is creating a new instance for each web app.   I can't believe
this is an acceptable strategy for all clustering implementations.
For instance, I would think if you have a bunch of web apps doing
cross-context dispatch you would want them all to share a session
manager.  I think we want the possibility of installing a single
container wide session manager or per-app session managers.

Is it really plausible to rely on the distributable tag in the spec
dd to turn on clustering? I would think a further tag in our plan
should be needed.

Here's what I propose:

We define a SessionManagerFactory interface, and for each clustering
technology provide an implementation as a gbean.    You can get a
local and a distributed session manager from this interface.  The
runtime configuration for the clustering includes this gbean.  Each
web app context gets a reference to this gbean and  gets the
appropriate session manager when it starts.  The web app context
knows if it is supposed to be local or distributed so it can ask for
the right session manager.

We have a deploy time configuration for each clustering technology
also.  This at least supplies the gbean reference to the runtime
gbean, and can also install a runtime gbean in the configuration
under construction.  In this way the clustering technology can decide
on whether one session manager is shared, a factory that always
returns unconfigured new instances is needed, or if each web app
needs a specially configured session manager.

If this isn't clear, I'll be happy to try to clarify.

thanks
david jencks