geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Dillon" <jason.dil...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [vote] XBean donation
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:14:33 GMT
"a real simple way to define classloader hierarchies", sounds like you want Classworlds....

--jason

-----Original Message-----
From: James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:03:24
To:dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: [vote] XBean donation

On 29 Jan 2006, at 18:50, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> I assume this will just be a regular subproject at present.  If
>> one of
>> the XBean folks could talk a little about how XBean could ultimately
>> be adopted by Geronimo (the app server), that would be great.  I
>> think
>> we talked about ways that Geronimo and XBean could move to close the
>> gap and thus eventually make it possible to for Geronimo to adopt
>> XBean without it being such a massive change, but I'm a little fuzzy
>> on the details.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Aaron
>
> You're a bit fuzzy on the detail because every is a bit fuzzy. I
> have a few idea about how to integrate the code, but we're not
> going to know exactly how the integration will work or if we want
> to do it at all until we try.  Just wanted to drop a warning before
> jumping into my ideas.
>
> XBean has several modules most of which are designed for direct
> XBean users like Service-Mix, ActiveMQ and XFire, so I'm going to
> only address the kernel and server module.
>
> The kernel in XBean has a very light weight kernel compared to the
> Geronimo kernel.  For example, the Geronimo kernel directly
> supports object name queries, and in XBean name querying is an
> optional service.  The other big difference is the code is just
> easier to follow :)  *If* we decide to switch to the XBean kernel,
> we can easily create an implementation of the current Geronimo
> kernel interface that simply calls through to the XBean kernel.  I
> had this working with the XBean 1.0 kernel, but haven't written a
> bridge for the 2.0 kernel yet.
>
> The server module is more tricky.  The server module contains
> simplified start up code, support for spring based configurations
> and some experimental class loaders.  All of these will take work
> to determine if they are beneficial to Geronimo and if so, how to
> integrate them with out breaking current users.  I think that more
> importantly than integrating the code is integrating the ideas in
> the server module.  For example, the startup code in XBean would
> allow us to eliminate the serialized object graph in the our
> startup jars, which contain important attributes that we can't edit.

Agreed.

I think once we import the code into an xbean module we can start
experimenting with a cleaner & more lightweight POJO based kernel/
server/deployer that avoids much of the GBean plumbing. e.g. I'd love
a real simple way to define classloader hierarchies and to auto-
deploy & redeploy spring.xml & xbean.xml files inside those class
loaders as a nice simple Spring/POJO container.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/