geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Javamail address parsing (again).
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:57:51 GMT
On Jan 11, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> Is it possible to look at the Sun implementation's source code to
> distinguish enforced vs. ignored rules?

That would make the code not clean room.

I propose we ask Sun for a formal definition of the parser for this
class, and in a parallel track make an effort to try to match their
bugs.  The code from the second track doesn't have to be perfect, but
just good enough.  We simply let our users know that our goal with
the "implement.sun.javamail.bugs=true" code is to emulate the sun
bugs, and if they find something that produces different results for
the same text, we consider it a bug.

-dain