geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 Module Structure
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:26:19 GMT

On Jan 29, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Has anyone put any thought into how the exiting trunk should be
> restructured to take advantage of Maven2's integrated module support?
>
> I've got some ideas, but wanted to hear what others have been
> thinking of before I attempt to propose anything.
>
> I will however suggest that we should... er must reorganize the
> trunk.  We should be able to come up with a simple hierarchy to
> group logically related components into small and manageable
> groups.  For example, if you are working on deployment code, then
> we should be able to group all of the related deployment modules
> into a group, so you could just build/rebuild those *easily* w/o
> having to build/rebuild the entire tree.

I'm not sure how to do this nor am I sure how useful it would be.
For instance, there are 2 kinds of changes I typically make to
deployment related code:
- changing runtime code, and then the associated builder
- changing how a bunch of builders fit together.

If we divided stuff up according to the first method, we'd have half
as many new divisions as we now have modules, each division
containing 2  modules.

If we divided it up according to the second method, it would be
unnecessarily hard to navigate between the runtime and deploy time
parts of the code.

Forced to choose, I'd prefer the 2nd option, but I'm not at all
convinced it's better than what we have now.

thanks
david jencks