geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:30:08 GMT

On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 16, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>
>>> OK, it strikes me as pretty silly that you can't configure virtual
>>> hosts in a common way for web applications, but you can for EJBs
>>> exposed as web services!
>>
>> I suspect the implementation for ejb web services re tomcat is wrong.
>
> Could you please point out where it is wrong?  If no VH is set on the
> EJB side, then it is attached to the default host.  If a VH is set,
> then
> TC looks it up to verify its existence and attaches the context to
> that
> host.  See lines 325-337 of the TomcatContainer.  I don't see where
> this
> is incorrect.  Did I miss something here?

I would like to revise my comment to say that Aaron's description of
what the tomcat implementation does is wrong: the tomcat
implementation ignores all but the first "virtual host" name.

To clarify, the tomcat and jetty interpretations of the multiple
virtual host elements in an ejb web service plan are completely
unrelated:
-- jetty: the vh elements are actually used as virtual host names
-- tomcat: the first vh element if present is used to find a tomcat
host object, whose name has nothing to do with any aliases/virtual
host names.

I think that this is sufficiently misleading that we should consider
providing separate tomcat and jetty configurations for this.
However, I fear this will be extremely unpleasant to implement.  The
first time around I couldn't figure out any way to do this properly,
which is why we have the current misleading and ugly hack.

Thanks
david jencks