geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Poll: Resolve configId Versions for 1.0.1
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:40:09 GMT

On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> All,
>
> There was some IRC talk but not a lot of list response to the configId
> versioning issue.  Right now, it's kind of holding up 1.0.1 IMHO
> because I can't support releasing 1.0.1 until we resolve the
> compatibility issue somehow, and there's going to be a fair bit of
> work to get it going one way or another.  Anyway, for the 1.0.1
> release, please indicate your preference for:
>
> [+0 ] Change all configIds to 1.0 even though it's the 1.0.1 release
> [-1 ] Change all references to use no version and make that work
> [ +0.5] Something else (please explain)

I haven't had a chance to think about this thoroughly yet.  I really
really really don't want to rush into a solution that may get us into
trouble later. I prefer the current hard coded version number
solution to removing version entirely.  Offhand I think making
configuration object names have groupId, artifactId, and version keys
might provide a partial solution.

Fundamentally the problem is that a configuration needs to be able to
say, "I need services X Y and Z, at these levels" and we need to be
able to supply them.  The current hardcoded solution certainly does
this but way too specifically, you have to name the exact
implementation you want and the exact version.  A possible far-off
goal is that your web app configuration says, "I need servlet 2.4
support" and something else configures whether it is jetty or
tomcat.  Ideally I would like to have a plan for how to get to this
particular piece of pie in the sky before starting to change what we
have now: I don't know if this is remotely realistic.

thanks
david jencks