geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Help on "GBeanInstance should already be stopped before die() is called"
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 02:00:11 GMT

--- David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2006, at 7:29 AM, anita kulshreshtha
> wrote:
>
> > David,
> >     I was recently getting this error because I
> was
> > trying to get a reference for a nonexistent Gbean
> (bad
> > program). Other Gbeans were waiting for this one
> > start, I got a warning saying some beans were not
> > started during server startup. During shutdown
> these
> > same beans (state starting) gave this error
> message.
> > Is it possible that the deployer is not flagging
> this
> > message? Is it something you want me to look into
> and
> > where should I start? Is it just a case of cryptic
> > error meassage?
>
> I don't really understand yet what is a problem
> here.  To me it seems
> like everything is working properly.  Perhaps there
> can be
> improvements, but let's be sure we understand the
> situation before we
> start changing things.
>
> Let me try to explain what I think is typically
> happening and why it
> is difficult to avoid.
>
> Whenever a gbean is loaded and cant be started due
> to an unsatisfied
> reference, we log a notice indicating the gbean and
> the reference
> pattern(s).
>
> When starting the server, after all configurations
> listed in
> config.xml are loaded, we log at a higher level any
> gbeans that
> remain unstarted.
    In my case, I got a warning on the console saying
"some Gbeans were not started". When the above message
"GBeanInstance ....." appeared on the console, I knew
what it was due to. I looked at the logs and found
that these were the Gbeans that were not started. In
Nelson's case he is not getting any warning on the
console. I was just wondering why?

Thanks
Anita

> [...]
> can't be shut
> down.  This won't produce any repercussions, but
> currently this
> annoying message is often the only visible way to
> find out that a
> gbean didn't fully start (it is difficult to read
> through so many
> debug log statements if you don't know you need to
> :-)
>
> 2. either log a visible message whenever a
> configuration starts but
> one or more gbeans can't start, or actually shut
> down the
> configuration in this case.  This has some effects
> of discouraging or
> prohibiting some possible gbean relationships.  The
> simplest is where
> there are 2 configurations A and B: B uses classes
> from A but a gbean
> in A has a reference to a gbean in B.  In this case
> we have to load A
> first so thee classes for B are available, but the
> gbean in A can't
> start until after B has started.  We actually have
> this situation
> today with j2ee-deployer and client-deployer. (also
> openejb-
> deployer).  A related problem occurs if there are
> configurations C
> and D with unrelated classloaders but C has gbeans j
> and l and D a
> gbean k and there are references j >> k >> l.  I'm
> hesitant to make
> these kinds of relationships noisy by logging a
> visible message or
> prohibiting them.
>
> So, I don't see any change that will produce a
> definite benefit.  I'm
> certainly open to discussion.  I wonder if we should
> have this
> discussion on the dev list, you can certainly move
> my comments there.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

> > Thanks
> > Anita
> >
> > --- "Nelson A. Perez" <nelapc28@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >>   Thanks David Jencks for your comment on my
> >> previous
> >> post, but yes, I meant to write in the code I
> >> posted:

> >> <gbean name="gbean1"
> class="ibmtask.APrinterGBean">
> >> </gbean>
> >> </reference>
> >>
> >> That's the way my config plan looks like. I wrote
> it
> >> the other way by accident ;-) Still, I can not
> make
> >> my
> >> application work properly. This is the error that
> >> gets
> >> written into var/log/geronimo.txt when I do the
> >> deployment of my sample application:
> >>
> >> ERROR [GBeanInstance] GBeanInstance should
> already
> >> be
> >> stopped before die() is called:
> >> objectName=geronimo.server:J2EEApplication=null,

IBMTask,J2EEServer=geronimo,j2eeType=GBean,name=MyGBean