geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: More tomcat Statistics...
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:38:40 GMT

--- Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anita,
>
> Why extend from CountStatistic instead of
> TimeStatistic?  Can't we use
> StartTime (from Statistic - parent of TimeStatistic)
> for the StartupTime
     AIUI, StartTime in Statistic is to keep the time
when the statistics gathering started. It can be used
to compute other information for a given sampling
interval. The startupTime is slightly different. It is
the time taken to start the context (webapp).
> and TotalTime for the ProcessingTime?
    I could use TotalTime of TimeStatistics for this.
I do not like filling all the other attributes (max,
min, count) to undefined values (-1 ?). I would prefer
the Count, its Unit can be used to format it correctly
in UI.
That would
> just leave TldScanTime
>   in the extension class.  What is TldScanTime use
> for?
    TldScanTime is the time to Scan the TLD contents
of all tag library descriptor files (including those
that are inside the jars 'accessible' to this webapp)
and register any application event listeners found
there. StartupTime is made up of tldScanTime, time to
load all servlets etc. May be tomcat users can comment
if is useful for performance tuning?
      It brings me to another type of statistics say
'availability' which has a boolean value. Monitoring
tools constantly sample this value, and come up with
availability graphs and sometime take corrective
action. How do we represent this? Tomcat does provide
'availability' stats for an app.

Thanks
Anita

> Joe
>
> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> >     OK, for the time being I will call them
> > CountStatistic and proceed. Later I could change
> them
> > to the following for better readability.
> > StaticTimeStatistics extends CountStatistics  and
> > StaticTimeStatisticsImpl extends
> CountStatisticsImpl
> >
> > Thanks
> > Anita
> >
> > --- Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Boy, my head is just not in this at the moment.  I
> >>need to get some
> >>time to poke around the statistics interfaces a
> bit
> >>before I can
> >>render an intelligent opinion.  :)
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>    Aaron
> >>
> >>On 1/8/06, anita kulshreshtha
> <a_kulshre@yahoo.com>

> >>available

> >>The

> > Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
> > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
> > dsl.yahoo.com
> >

> --
> Joe Bohn
> joe.bohn at earthlink.net
>
> "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to
> gain what he cannot
> lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com