geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject deploying projects with no plan
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:46:11 GMT
One scenario in the eclipse tools thats been discovered is a scenario
deploying projects that contain no deployment plans.  I'd like some
input on the best way to handle this.

Consider a workspace that contains two web projects (with no geronimo
specific deployment plan).
When deploying such a project, the configID that is being used is the
"web-app id=" attribute in web.xml.

The two web projects may be newly created web projects, or projects
being migrated from somewhere else, but the point being they may not
have unique id's in the web.xml, in which case the project 1 will
deploy successfully, but project 2 will fail since its defaulting to
the same configID as project 1.

This problem would occur outside of tools as well.

How could we better handle this scenario since to the runtime, at the
moment, cannot differentiate that this is a different app. Should we
default to something different? Perhaps still use the id in the j2ee
deployment descriptor but perhaps prepend the jar name without the
extension?

- sachin