geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Should we let users override context-root for wars in an ear?
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2006 05:14:28 GMT
I was irc-ing today with someone who suggested it would be useful to
make it possible for our plans to override the context-root in an
ear's application.xml with a different value in our plan somewhere.
One obvious choice is the context-root in a web plan.  After thinking
about this a bit I think it would be a nice convenience for our
users, and I personally don't see how it would introduce confusion.
My impression of the spec's discussion of application.xml is that it
tends to describe it as a bunch of hints from the person doing the
assembly role to the person doing the deployment role.

Jeff Genender and I tried to do a little survey of what the other app
servers do and think it is as follows:

weblogic -- app.xml setting overrides any web plan context root.
jboss - app.xml setting overrides
jonas -- there appears to be no way to set the context root other
than the application.xml: a standalone war uses its file name.
orion - appears to allow the application plan to override
application.xml
websphere -- can't tell, the administrative tools certainly allow
changing context root but it is not clear if that results in a change
to application.xml or a plan
trifork - can't tell

See also http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1470

thanks