geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: T-4 days to ApacheCon...1.0 Status and Thoughts
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:51:05 GMT

On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> All,
>> We've made a lot of progress over the weekend and the past few days
>> in terms of testing, bug fixing as well as new features.  At this
>> point though we are running out of time and need to shift from
>> features to finish and testing to make sure we're putting out the
>> best offering we can.  Given that there are a few things we need to
>> do and I need your help.
>> First, we need to manage our way out of the outstanding 98 JIRAs for
>> 1.0.  I would like to ask everyone that has a JIRA for 1.0 (either
>> reported by you and unassigned or assigned to you) to please quickly
>> review it and prioritize it appropriately.  The assignment should be:
>> 1.0 (absolutely needs to be in ... stop ship if its in this category)
>> 1.1 (important but can be addressed later)
>> 1.x (sooner than later but not immediately urgent)
>> wishlist (self explanatory)
>> Please do this today.  If you absolutely cannot let me know and I'll
>> defer them for you :)
>> Because we need to finish TCK testing as well as test the packaging
>> and installer I would like to make today the last day for fixing
>> function / features..  I propose we cut a 1.0 branch tonight so we
>> can fix things like missing content in the console and other items
>> that will be removed from Geronimo that need to remain in HEAD for
>> further development.
>> Also, we will make the final cutover of versions from SNAPSHOTs to
>> their released versions for TranQL, Open EJB, and Axis.  I think we
>> have everything else taken care of.
>> Preferrably it would be great if we can start a vote on Friday for a
>> release assuming we get the remaining work completed.
>> Please respond to this e-mail with outstanding urgent issues that
>> need to be completed.  Here is a start for this activity:
>> * Remove broken / non-functional links in the console
>> * Installer work completed
>> * Testing of sample apps to ensure we have not regressed
>
>   * Continued build problems due to "new" maven goals
>   * Remove links to Confluence on the Welcome page
>   * Are we going to include the TranQL Connectors for Oracle and DB2?

I would rather not include the oracle connector since I don't think it
has been tested in the last year or so.  Matt would be able to advise
on the stability of the db2 connector.  I would rather not include them
unless we are quite confident they work reliably.

- hot deploy config (easy)
- dtds included in schema directory (pretty easy)
- online deployer.  I think this is basically a packaging issue at this
point, but I haven't started trying to make it work
- offline deployer.  I would rather release this set of tools in a week
or so when we have had more of a chance to discuss how they should
work.  I have the start of new deployer and assembly command line tools
based on the packaging and assembly plugins on my machine, but it is
unlikely that any interface I come up with to run them will be
considered usable by anyone else.

- trade app >> applications
-- more sample apps???

thanks