geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Can we remove the offline deployer? Please speak up now.
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:20:09 GMT
Currently the offline deployer is a dreadful hack.  It loads a
completely separate set of builder gbeans than the running server, and
its restricted to 2 plans.  I believe it was originally developed as
the bootstrap mechanism for server assembly.  We now have a maven
plugin based system that is simpler and does not have the drawbacks of
the offline deployer.

I would like to remove the offline deployer capabilities from the
deployer.jar.  I believe this will significantly simplify both the code
and cli for this tool.  I have some hope that we could even include all
the classes needed in the deployer.jar so it could be moved out of the
geronimo server bin/ and still work.

If there is still significant demand for a standalone offline deployer
tool (rather than using the maven packaging plugin) I would like this
to be a separate tool essentially based on the maven packaging plugin,
although using the "current" geronimo server rather than the local
maven repo.

thanks
david jencks