geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "David H. DeWolf" <ddew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WEBCONSOLE] Start Playing with Pluto 1.1?
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:18:39 GMT
> Sorry for the confusion I have created.

No problem!  It's a good thing that we consider all of the options. . .

> I did talk to Dave Taylor about using J2 in Geronimo for the
> console.  The vision for Geronimo and the console has been to support
> downloadable plugins to enhance the server.  For example, you may
> want to download a commerce extension for geronimo that processes
> payments for your web application.  This could come from an open
> source project (using some yet to be defined open payment spec) or a
> commercial vendor.  With the plugin you would get the jar containing
> the plugin classes, and a portlet that we would mount into our
> console for configuration and management of the plugin.
>
> This is why I believed that we need J2 since FWIU the version pluto
> we use doesn't support dynamic addition of portlets.  I also think
> that we want our console to be skinnable, so ISVs embedding Geronimo
> into their apps can brand the console to their product.
>
> Is this stuff planned for Pluto?  I really like the simplicity of
> Pluto especially for a console, that you need to work when things are
> going wrong in the server.

Dynamic addition of portlets has allready been added to 1.1 and can
definately be expanded if neeed.  The ui layer is currently very
simple so no skinning exists. . .if we can talk about what is needed
then we could definately consider supporting whatever you require.

> One other question, does Pluto work well when other portal systems
> are installed into the server?  I could see us using Pluto for our
> console, and J2 for the user land portal.

I wouldn't imagine any issues running both pluto and jetspeed together
- and if we encountered any, I would definately think it would be a
high priority to fix it.  I really like the idea of Pluto for the
console and J2 as an embedded (optional) portal server for end user
support.