geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: list-targets command
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:51:00 GMT

On Dec 5, 2005, at 2:41 PM, toby cabot wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:13:33PM -0800, David Jencks wrote:
>> Hmm, I would have thought that you would want the configurationManager
>> to have several  config-stores (I think it does) but to pick one
>> particular one for each deployer.  How does the deployer choose which
>> one to put the new config into?
>
> I don't know.  Taking the practical approach, I just tried adding a
> second ConfigurationStore to system-plan.xml, and at that point the
> server wouldn't start because a couple of components expected a single
> ConfigurationStore thart they were provided via GBean references.  It
> sounds as if you're proposing that each Deployer be configured with a
> more specific reference so that there's a 1-1 relationship between
> Deployers and ConfigurationStores, whereas I was thinking more along
> the lines of a single Deployer that knew about multiple configuration
> stores.  Your idea sounds fine, but what's the mechanism at runtime
> that chooses which deployer to use based on the target?
>
> I'm guess I'm not clear on the relationship between the
> configurationManager and the Deployer(s).  When I looked at the
> backtrace from the Deployer.deploy() method I didn't see the
> ConfigurationManager in it.  Does the configurationManager have an
> opportunity to delegate certain ConfigurationStores to certain
> Deployers?

no

The configuration manager is responsible for running the server using
stuff that is available in all the repos and config stores it knows
about.  The deployers only need to know where to put the completed
configuration when they are done with it.  If they know about more than
one, I don't know how they could decide.

My understanding of what this could be used for is something like a
shared immutable config-store used for "official" configurations and a
non-shared config-store you could put your own stuff into.  In this
case, the deployer would point at the non-shared config store.  Very
likely we could make the immutable config-store based off the geronimo
repo using packed car files directly.  I've forgotten what you
originally wanted this for, could you remind me?

thanks
david jencks