geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From si...@godik.com
Subject Re: use of config.xml
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 04:03:23 GMT
Hi Aaron,
Hand editing of config.xml is advertised everywhere, otherwise how you are going to change
the values?

I agree that modifying binary configuration is not straighforward in general case. If we had
deployment plan included with the configuration we could have 'merge' operation supported
at least for simple cases.

I'm sure there are other ways as well; Maybe i missed a discussion on how we can update binary
configuration. I see that more things are added to the config.xml...

Simon

>The console adds GBeans at runtime.  For example, if you add a new web
>connector, it's a bew GBean, and it's currently added to (IIRC) the
>configuration that holds the web container.  No one is expected to do
>this by hand.
>
>In any case, you should be aware of where we're coming from, which is
>serialized objects (for both attribute setting and adding GBeans).  So
>the config.xml is a big step in that it's all human-readable, it's not
>sensitive to specific versions of the code (e.g. the serial version
>UID), and you can edit it without a special tool.
>
>If you have recommendations for how it could be more straightforward,
>we're certainly open to it.  But please don't trash the progress
>that's been made without understanding that it is in fact progress.
>With your help, we can make more progress.

>Thanks,
>    Aaron

>On 12/1/05, simon@godik.com <simon@godik.com> wrote:
>> My experience with config.xml is not a happy one...
>>
>> one problem i found with config.xml is that some attributes have significant ripple
effect. Keystore attributes are of this kind. keystore gbean is deployed  as part of org/apache/geronimo/Console/Tomcat,
so changes to the keystore attributes must be applied to the keystore gbean as well.  So whoever
changes some attribute on some gbean must search all other deployed configs for conflict.
This is pain...

>> Another problem with config.xml is that you should not edit it while geronimo is
running. Otherwise all your edits will be overwritten by geronimo when it gets shutdown.