geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:43:57 GMT
On Dec 1, 2005, at 3:26 PM, John Sisson wrote:

> Whilst trying to come up with a name for the new command line
> option for the Daemon for the new startup progress output (that
> doesn't use line feeds to update the status of configurations being
> loaded and outputs the startup time for each configuration) I
> chatted with David Blevins and David Jencks on IRC.
>
> They brought to my attention that the Daemon doesn't follow the
> convention where each option has a short form (prefixed with a
> single dash '-') and a long form prefixed with two dashes "--".
> For example, run maven -h or maven --help .

I didn't really mean that each option *has* to have a short version--
there are only so many letters and numbers.  But something like this...

Here are the options for some common/powerful command line tools:

   wget   http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/cli/wget-options.txt
   tar    http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/cli/tar-options.txt
   rsync  http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/cli/rsync-options.txt
   patch  http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/cli/patch-options.txt