geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Move WritableRepository methods to Repository interface?
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 17:36:52 GMT
On Dec 2, 2005, at 8:45 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>> I was applying GERONIMO-1227 from Toby and it occurred to me that we
>> may want to simply merge WritableRepository into the Repository
>> interface and add a "boolean canWrite()" method to the interface.
>> Then the console could just scan for all repositories and allow the
>> user a choice of which writable one to upload to.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I'm not so sure about the patch for this.  I'd almost rather see a
> separate repository implementation that was read-only rather than
> impementing WritableRepository on a file system that can't write.  I
> would be fine with your recommendation, but I'm not too happy with
> having a read-only WriteableRepository for 1.0.  Think there's
> anything we can do in the short term?

Well I would say it is a writable repository what can recognize that
the file system is currently not writable.  If you think it is a big
deal, we can merge the two interfaces for 1.0 and add the canWrite
method.  Personally, I don't think this a big deal.  There is only
one implementation of WriteableRepository which is
FileSystemRepository, which logically can be writable, but may not
be :)   I really don't think this will impact users as no one sees
this interface other then the internal console code.

-dain