geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: use of config.xml
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:28:06 GMT
The console adds GBeans at runtime.  For example, if you add a new web
connector, it's a bew GBean, and it's currently added to (IIRC) the
configuration that holds the web container.  No one is expected to do
this by hand.

In any case, you should be aware of where we're coming from, which is
serialized objects (for both attribute setting and adding GBeans).  So
the config.xml is a big step in that it's all human-readable, it's not
sensitive to specific versions of the code (e.g. the serial version
UID), and you can edit it without a special tool.

If you have recommendations for how it could be more straightforward,
we're certainly open to it.  But please don't trash the progress
that's been made without understanding that it is in fact progress.
With your help, we can make more progress.

Thanks,
    Aaron

On 12/1/05, simon@godik.com <simon@godik.com> wrote:
> My experience with config.xml is not a happy one...
>
> one problem i found with config.xml is that some attributes have significant ripple effect.
Keystore attributes are of this kind. keystore gbean is deployed  as part of org/apache/geronimo/Console/Tomcat,
so changes to the keystore attributes must be applied to the keystore gbean as well.  So whoever
changes some attribute on some gbean must search all other deployed configs for conflict.
This is pain...

> Another problem with config.xml is that you should not edit it while geronimo is running.
Otherwise all your edits will be overwritten by geronimo when it gets shutdown.