geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:01:51 GMT
> I didn't really mean that each option *has* to have a short version--
> there are only so many letters and numbers.  But something like this...

I know that many tools have established a convention.  I just don't
like it for this case.  I surely run tar -xzpvf and appreciate not
having to type long names for all the separate flags.  But I don't use
Geronimo with 5 flags that way.  No one will combine help with
anything, many of the remaining flags covering the startup are at
least to some degree mutually exclusive, I *want* it to be harder to
type the override flag because no one should ever use it, ...  I can't
put my finger on a single specific thing, I just don't like the idea
as a whole.  Sorry!  :)

Aaron