geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Hardcoded object names in the admin console
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:13:49 GMT
We're discovering more and more hardcoded object names in the admin
console.  This is not really a viable long term practice, but I don't
think we have time to improve the code  significantly before 1.0.

The two choices I have thought of for a quick fix are to put them all
in ObjectNameConstants and resolve them using a more or less reasonable
query against the kernel or to use either servlet init params or jndi
env refs to provide a value from the dd, which can be filled in by
velocity using the current geronimo version during the build.

Any other ideas?  Are servlet params better/worse than jndi for this?
I've tried the ObjectNameConstants for the first few I found but am not
very happy with this solution.

There's at least one parentId string that cannot really be resolved by
an object name query, so I'm going to try using jndi.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
david jencks