geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject 1.0 release Candidate 2...some guidelines
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:34:22 GMT
All,

Optimism got the better of us and our first attempt at a release met with some
well deserved -1's for reasons that are not anyone's fault.  however, it has
pointed out some obvious flaws in our process that I'd like to address now.

First, we have a Press release that reached the public a little too soon.  Not
withstanding that issue I do not want to put out a rushed release to satisfy the
press release.  The web site is updated and we need to get the binary out as
soon as possible and I hope the second spin of the release will correct that
problem.

Second, someone pointed out (I think it was Jacek) that we did not include a
notation in the binary about what the release candidate was so that it is not
confused with the final release.  Before releasing another cut I would like the
naming convention of the binary and the directories to be clearer as to what
they contain otherwise this will get confusing.  My suggestion is that the name be:

geronimo-jetty-1.0-rc[n].tar.gz for example.  Where [n] is the number of the
release candidate (and we are now on number 2).  The next set of images should
follow this convention to ensure we are not confusing the users.  I know these
are release candidates and this isn't required but it would make me sleep better
at night :)  The directory that is actually contained in the zip will still be
geronimo-1.0.  Thoughts?

Finally, It looks like the file corruption issue pointed out regarding the
source tar balls was some confusion over how files that are 100 characters long
were handled on Solaris.  It sounds like a Solaris bug and not ours.

We've made really good progress in squashing the bugs and getting features in so
  let's take this final few days and finish the release with gusto.  We're
almost there.