geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Does there need to be a default web container?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:53:43 GMT
My Magic G-Ball comment aside I'll throw my 2c into the debate.  First, the
decision we make today is not binding for all time.  Also, I appreciate Joe's
comment about simplicity but the reality is J2EE has a steep learning curve and
as much as I would like to see Joe's mom download the server and get cracking I
doubt she has much use for a J2EE server to post recipes or pictures of her
grandchildren on the web.  PHP or Ruby would be easier I think :)

I appreciate that Tomcat is an Apache Foundation project and we want to taker
that into consideration.  Since my involvement in the project though I think the
Jetty team has been more actively involved in Geronimo in terms of responding to
questions and making changes.  Jeff has been doing a great job at making sure
Tomcat is a first class citizen as well.  I may be wrong but the Jetty community
seems to be more active in G.

That said, I suggest we put some text in the installer that gives some context
to why a customer would want to choose one over the other.  Indicate that
Geronimo works equally well with either WebContainer and that what we are
providing is a choice for them to meet their specific needs.  I would prefer to
have a default checked and lean toward Jetty.

Regardless of which one is chosen I think the Installer should have some text to
guide the user to making a decision and we should be clear about the Openness of
Geronimo in allowing choice, providing information to make a decision and
provide a default so Joe's mom can get cracking.

Matt