geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Panagiotis Astithas <p...@ebs.gr>
Subject Re: Does there need to be a default web container?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:53:14 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> I agree with Aaron with regard to usability.   Users don't want to
>> have to make any decisions on the first install (especially when they
>> first pick it up for evaluation).  My mom doesn't install anything on
>> her computer unless she can click, click, click and get it working.  I
>> know our users are more sophisticated than her  ... but we want to
>> make it as easy as possibly to get something working quickly.  We want
>> to make this easy enough for my mom to install (even though she never
>> will).  :-)
>

> So you think your average Geronimo user will have no idea what a web
> container is?

I think this is the root of your miscommunication/disagreement: the
decision to choose a web container has to stem not only from an
understanding of what a web container is, but also from an evaluation of
the relative merits of both. That is, Joe User may know from Servlets
101 what a web container provides, but he may not be aware of what this
choice entails. Of course such worries could be mitigated by a blurb in
this particular installer page that mentions that both are OK, etc.

In the end, I think that not having a default choice (whatever that may
be) is a rather loud acknowledgment of a fear to have the debate and
make a choice :-)

Cheers,
Panagiotis