geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Does there need to be a default web container?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:08:14 GMT

Jeff Genender wrote:

> Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> I agree with Aaron with regard to usability.   Users don't want to
>> have to make any decisions on the first install (especially when they
>> first pick it up for evaluation).  My mom doesn't install anything on
>> her computer unless she can click, click, click and get it working.  I
>> know our users are more sophisticated than her  ... but we want to
>> make it as easy as possibly to get something working quickly.  We want
>> to make this easy enough for my mom to install (even though she never
>> will).  :-)
>

> So you think your average Geronimo user will have no idea what a web
> container is?

I think they'll know what a web container is.  I just don't think that
they will initially care which web container they use the first time
they install Geronimo.

When they are ready to begin using Geronimo in earnest then they will
take the time to decide which web container they want and if necessary
the choose the non-default they can over-ride it.  But for the first
install I don't think most users will care.  I just think that we want
to make a good first impression by being easier to install then the user
may have expected (which I'm currently hoping can eventually be click,
click, click, done).

Joe

--
Joe Bohn