geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: Does there need to be a default web container?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:00:48 GMT

-0

As I have often said, in the long run the user should not care if they
are using jetty or tomcat and it was a mistake for us to expose
implementation detail as we have.

I have always preferred the web tier to be just called "web"
and then in future the developers will have the option to change
implementations.   Just as we may change the implementation of GBeans,
CORBA, EJB, JMS or any other component.

I would say that perhaps the installer should not even offer the option
unless it is in some advanced mode.   Less is more when it comes
to configuration options.

If at a later time we have a debate about technical advantages and
support issues and decide that tomcat is a better default - then that
can be changed in a future release (or we can continue to work hard to
improve Jetty to meet the requirements of the geronimo community).

regards