geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Anders Hessellund Jensen <...@trifork.com>
Subject Re: Corba spec / IDL issues
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:09:54 GMT
Lars K├╝hne wrote:
> This question hasn't been addressed yet. I really don't see the point of
> maintaining our own copy either. Where did that copy originate - isn't
> it based on the OMG files anyway?

I think the current files originate from the ORB in Trifork P4.
Originally, OMG did not distribute the idl files for the spec (as far as
i know).  They used idl in the specification document, but no raw idl files.

> The OpenORB compiler supports local interfaces, and it is used to
> compile the OMG idl files in the OpenORB build, so that part could
> probably work. However the JacORB compiler is much more stable than the
> OpenORB compiler which has a *huge* amount of bugs, and one of those
> might become relevant for the test IDLs.

I did a bit of experimentation with the OpenORB compiler, and it is also
my impression that the JacORB compiler is more mature. I also don't
think the OpenORB compiler would be able to compile the OMG idl files
without modifying these significantly, or at least more than we would
have to with the JacORB compiler. With the JacORB compiler I was able to
compile the orb.idl and PortableServer.idl from OMG with only one minor
addition.