geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Lars K├╝hne <lakue...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Corba spec / IDL issues
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:38:49 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote, On 12/6/2005 8:21 AM:
>
>> Optimally, we would be able to take the idl files directly from OMG.
>> They have published a set of idl files, which can be downloaded here:
>> http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/02-07-02 . These files
>> generally correspond to our own files in geronimo-spec-corba. Using
>> the files provided from OMG would be advantageous, since that would
>> guarantee the correctness and completeness of the IDL.

This question hasn't been addressed yet. I really don't see the point of
maintaining our own copy either. Where did that copy originate - isn't
it based on the OMG files anyway?

>> [...]
>> Note that the compiler is only used in the build process. It will not
>> be bundled with the finished product or anything like that. We are
>> not going to have any GPL-code in the geronimo repository by using
>> this compiler.
>>
>> Any comments on this issue? Should i move on to integrating the
>> JacORB compiler with the idlj plugin?
>

> I don't think that JacORB is properly licensed.  Does anyone know if
> it's a problem using LGPL jars?

Many projects at Apache seem to use Checkstyle, which is also LGPL. So
LGPL doesn't seem to be a problem for tools that are only used during
the build (not redistributed and not stored on Apache servers).

> The ideal solution is to implement and use our own.

Yes, it would be great to have an Apache-Licensed IDL compiler, but that
would take time and take away momentum from the core ORB development. We
could do that in parallel if there is any interest.

>   I wonder if we could use OpenORB.  Lars?

The OpenORB compiler supports local interfaces, and it is used to
compile the OMG idl files in the OpenORB build, so that part could
probably work. However the JacORB compiler is much more stable than the
OpenORB compiler which has a *huge* amount of bugs, and one of those
might become relevant for the test IDLs.

Regards,
Lars