geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Who wants to write POP and IMAP transports? [status]
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:14:45 GMT
Bilal Bhatti wrote:

>Thanks, Rajith.
>
>Is the goal to create a full IMAP client with offline capabilities. If so
>what local message format is going to be used? Is this client going to be
>plugged in as a portlet in the console?
>
>I have the code for an online imap client. It has basic functionality to
>grab folders and pull down messages. What are the feature requirements for
>this thing?

The requirements here are to add POP3 and IMAP support to the geronimo
implementation of the javamail apis.  The end target is an
implementation that functions exactly the same as the Sun implementation
of the same.  Everything implemented here needs to be under the umbrella
of the javamail apis.  So, for example, the local message format will be
an implementation of the javamail message class.

Currently, all that is implemented is an outbound smtp transport.  This
transport takes as input a javamail Message instance and send it to an
smtp server.  Missing right now is the capability for inbound messages
(i.e., POP3 or IMAP).   These need to be implementations of the javamail
AbstractStore and AbstractFolder class.  Currently, we have some stub
implementations of these classes in the sandbox/mail directory, but they
are currently just empty autogenerated classes.  Somebody needs to fill
in the blanks.

Rick