geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Startup Warning related to running Tomcat Examples on Jetty
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:08:15 GMT
The web.xml contains the following:

     <filter-mapping>
         <filter-name>Servlet Mapped Filter</filter-name>
	<servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
     </filter-mapping>

Concerning invoker:
"The invoker is a dynamic servlet which allows run-time loading of other
servlets based on class name. This servlet is the one that allows
http://localhost/servlet/com.foo.MyClass?more=cowbell, where
com.foo.MyClass is some class which can be loaded as a servlet but was
never explicitly declared in a config file."

After removing the offending xml from web.xml it still seems to work
fine for both Jetty and Tomcat.

So there are a few options here:

1) Crack open geronimo-servlet-examples-tomcat-5.5.12.war in ibiblio
and remove the invoker reference.
If we do this we should also remove the following reference from the
jsp-examples main page: "These examples will only work when these pages
are being served by a servlet engine; of course, we recommend Tomcat"

We can do this ourselves or ask Tomcat to do it..

2) Only make the example(s) available on Tomcat distributions.

3) Install on Jetty and live with the "WARNING: Some GBeans were not
started successfully:" Or find a way to ignore and/or suppress the
WARNING.

4) Figure out a way to leverage the invoker servlet in Jetty.  It seems
they do have one.  Is the web.xml syntax different?

Thanks
-Dave-

David Jencks wrote:
> There's already a jira to point out that the jetty builder doesn't
> check referential integrity of web.xml.  Could you check that the
> web.xml is actually consistent?
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Dec 5, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> If there is no servlet name=invoker in the debug tool, then it seems
>> like during WAR deployment we've constructed a GBean that depends on
>> another GBean that doesn't exist, and I think you should definitely
>> create a JIRA for that!
>>
>> Aaron

>>> I only see the following in the debug-tool..
>>>
>>> J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Ser
>>> vletMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-
>>> SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping[starting]
>>>
>>> J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,URLPattern="/servlet/
>>> \*",WebFilter=PathMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-
>>> jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping[starting]
>>>

>>> ObjectName:
>>> geronimo.server:
>>> J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Ser
>>> vletMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-
>>> SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping
>>>
>>> ClassName:  org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyFilterMapping
>>> State:  starting
>>>
>>> Attributes
>>> Name Value
>>> errorDispatch false
>>> forwardDispatch false
>>> includeDispatch false
>>> requestDispatch true
>>> urlPattern (null)
>>>
>>> This can be easily recreated on Jetty by applying GERONIMO-1258 (since
>>> it predeploys the apps).. Or alternately by installing the war  directly
>>> from the ibiblio repo (link provided in earlier post)..
>>>
>>> The same application runs fine on Tomcat.  Do you suspect an error in
>>> the Geronimo code or in the application itself?  Do I need to open a
>>> JIRA?

 The