geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Confluence Setup
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 06:12:36 GMT
Jason Dillon wrote:

> FYI, I imported the GERONIMO space from:
>
>     http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/

Are we allowed to run this in the zone?  It would be nice to get
confirmation of this (how I don't know) as I don't think users will be
happy if they contribute to it and then have the rug pulled from under
their feet.

> I suggest that we reorganize this content into another space(s).  I
> created a USERGUIDE10 and ADMINGUIDE10 space... not sure if we want
> to segregate the docs like that, but I think that we should be the
> documentation into a separate space from the main site space (similar
> to how Confluence docs are http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/
> CONF20/Confluence+2.0+Home).
>
> So right now there is:
>
> MAIN - The main site space, this is kind of a facade over the rest of
> the spaces
> DEV - Space for development/developers content
> SANDBOX - Where people can freely play with wiki markup
> INT - Internal space for common images, etc, not directly accessible
> by normal users
>
> And these guys too:
>
> GERONIMO - The imported space as mentioned above
> USERGUIDE10 - Empty
> ADMINGUIDE10 - Empty
>
> I'm not sure that we need a separate user vs. admin guide right
> now... so perhaps we can just collect all of the documentation into a
> DOC10 or GUIDE10 space or something.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations?

We need to have a strategy on how we are going manage reviewing,
removing out of date content, and moving valid content from the existing
Wiki.  A lot of the existing content is out of date or irrelevant.  We
need to be careful that we don't end up having two half baked Wikis for
Geronimo.

Maybe ApacheCon would be a good opportunity to get everyone together and
review the content in the existing Wiki.  IMHO, if we don't have
accurate documentation for the 1.0 release then we should reconsidering
the release (we kind of had an excuse for milestone releases, 1.0 should
be a step up in quality from milestones.. users will have expectations
of quality).

The site shows we are using an Evaluation License.  We should have a
full license if we are relying upon it.

Is there a way we can set the footer on every page to say that any
content contributed to the Wiki is under the ASL 2.0 license, with a
link to the license, or have a notice on the edit page?  Documentation
contributions should not be any different to code contributions.

> I was also thinking of adding a simple glossary and knowledge-base
> space and/or faq space, that would auto-generate listings for pages
> added and provide simple navigation (similar to http://
> confluence.atlassian.com/display/DISC/Home).

I am not that familiar with Confluence, but it appears that the URL
above hosts discussions.  Do we really want to encourage users to have
discussions in places other than the mailing lists?  If we could import
all of Geronimo's mail archives into its searchable mail interface...
that sounds powerful as they say it is fully indexed and searchable with
your other content.

http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/features/mail.jsp

IMHO we don't want users having to search in two different places to
find information.

John