geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <>
Subject Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:33:46 GMT
OK, I now believe it was a mistake suggesting we should have a short
form of *each* option.  I agree that I wouldn't run the options together
like you can with tar.

I just want to make sure we have thought this through as now is our last
chance to change it before introducing migration issues for supported

Considering the depoy tool uses "--" for its options so we should try to
be consistent, here is my final attempt, trying to follow the short (-)
and long (--) convention.  I actually have a habit of using the long
form of options when coding commands in scripts for

      --quiet              ** changed from -quiet **
-v    --verbose
-vv   --veryverbose
      --override           ** changed from -override **
-h    --help
      --long               **  new option to change startup to use long progress format **

And we would support (but not actually document):

Aaron Mulder wrote:

>On 12/1/05, David Blevins <> wrote:
>>I didn't really mean that each option *has* to have a short version--
>>there are only so many letters and numbers.  But something like this...
>I know that many tools have established a convention.  I just don't
>like it for this case.  I surely run tar -xzpvf and appreciate not
>having to type long names for all the separate flags.  But I don't use
>Geronimo with 5 flags that way.  No one will combine help with
>anything, many of the remaining flags covering the startup are at
>least to some degree mutually exclusive, I *want* it to be harder to
>type the override flag because no one should ever use it, ...  I can't
>put my finger on a single specific thing, I just don't like the idea
>as a whole.  Sorry!  :)
>>Here are the options for some common/powerful command line tools:
>>   wget
>>   tar
>>   rsync
>>   patch