geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:33:46 GMT
OK, I now believe it was a mistake suggesting we should have a short
form of *each* option.  I agree that I wouldn't run the options together
like you can with tar.

I just want to make sure we have thought this through as now is our last
chance to change it before introducing migration issues for supported
releases.

Considering the depoy tool uses "--" for its options so we should try to
be consistent, here is my final attempt, trying to follow the short (-)
and long (--) convention.  I actually have a habit of using the long
form of options when coding commands in scripts for
readability/supportability.

      --quiet              ** changed from -quiet **
-v    --verbose
-vv   --veryverbose
      --override           ** changed from -override **
-h    --help
      --long               **  new option to change startup to use long progress format **

And we would support (but not actually document):

-help
/?

John