geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Editable files other than .bat and .sh files and CRs LFs
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:01:46 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> Rather than using the archive format to determine the linebreak
> convention, I would prefer an explicit build option (build for CR or
> build for CR/LF). Also, having Windows specific archive(s) might imply
> that there is more OS-specific behavior than we really have...
>
> All of our previous Milestone distributions have used CR's only, has
> this posed a problem to Windows users? It hasn't really been a problem
> for me developing on a Windows platform... I wonder if Geronimo users
> would be happy with CR-only distributions until we're ready to offer
> truly integrated Windows-specific behavior...

I think you mean LF instead of CR in your last paragraph.  I assume that
all the previous distributions used LF's because they were built on
non-Windows platforms.  If I build Geronimo on Windows today the *.xml,
*.txt, etc. files in the distribution  files will contain CR/LF's.  When
that distribution is used on a non-Windows platform the CR's cause the
problem demonstrated in my vi example in the original mail.

In summary, the contents of the distribution files are not the same
between builds on Windows and non-Windows platforms, which is bad.  It
should not matter what platform a release is built on.

Since this is a 1.0 release, now is the opportunity to do better than
some other projects and provide the files with the correct linebreak
convention for *NIX and Windows platforms to ensure a positive user
experience (e.g. Windows users don't get prompted to convert to DOS
format with some editors when they edit files).

I don't think we want to be providing two forms of zip and tar.gz files
one with CR and the other with CR/LF.  *NIX users should always use the
tar.gz files so they get permissions set on files, therefore it seems
reasonable to assume that the zip distribution will only be used by
Windows users.

Thoughts?

John