geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Can we remove the offline deployer? Please speak up now.
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:53:29 GMT

On Dec 1, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On 12/1/05, Jeff Genender <jgenender@apache.org> wrote:
>> What impact will this have on distributing core server functions if I
>> change something in the server based plans?
>
> Ooh, good question.  I had not thought of that.  Hopefully David has
> an answer.  :)
>
> Otherwise, I'm fine with whacking the offline deployer.  IMHO it was
> way too complicated for the value it offered.

I talked with jeff on IRC for a bit and he convinced me we need an
offline deployer.  Our current idea (or at least mine :-) is to:

- make the online deployer online only
- make a separate offline deployer that uses or imitates the packaging
plugin but uses the geronimo installation rather than the maven repo
- put most of the configuration options in a properties file, hopefully
leaving the command line options simple and clear
- have the tool create car files in the geronimo installations repo
- have the tool install car files from the geronimo repo to the
config-store.

The part I'm unhappy about is that this will more or less encourage
users to build configurations that pretend to be ours (having the same
configId) but are not.  I would really prefer if we could make people
use their own configIds when they build a plan.  However, if we
succeeded in this, our users would have to rebuild pretty much the
entire server since we don't have version ranges for dependencies.

thanks
david jencks