geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.0 release Candidate 2...some guidelines
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:07:52 GMT

> Second, someone pointed out (I think it was Jacek) that we did not include
> notation in the binary about what the release candidate was so that it is
> not
> confused with the final release.  Before releasing another cut I would
> like the
> naming convention of the binary and the directories to be clearer as to
> what
> they contain otherwise this will get confusing.  My suggestion is that the
> name be:
>
> geronimo-jetty-1.0-rc[n].tar.gz for example.  Where [n] is the number of
> the
> release candidate (and we are now on number 2).  The next set of images
> should
> follow this convention to ensure we are not confusing the users.  I know
> these
> are release candidates and this isn't required but it would make me sleep
> better
> at night :)  The directory that is actually contained in the zip will
> still be
> geronimo-1.0.  Thoughts?

Matt,  including a notation in the filename seems like a good idea and could
help prevent confusion.  I've also seen projects use a date string instead
of a release candidate number for this purpose.  Using a date string is
helpful since it makes it obvious when the image was created plus avoids
publicizing how many unsuccessful attempts there have been (not saying that
would be an issue in this case :o)

Best wishes,
Paul