geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Startup Warning related to running Tomcat Examples on Jetty
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:24:33 GMT

http://localhost/servlet/com.foo.MyClass?more=cowbell,
> where
> com.foo.MyClass is some class which can be loaded as
> a servlet but was
> never explicitly declared in a config file."

    I do not know the behavior of Invoker Servlet in
Jetty, but in tomcat -
   "The purpose of the Invoker Servlet is to allow a
web application to dynamically register new servlet
definitions  that correspond with a <servlet> element
in the /WEB-INF/web.xml deployment descriptor, and
execute requests utilizing the new servlet
definitions."
     More info can be found at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/funcspecs/fs-invoker.html

Thanks
Anita

> After removing the offending xml from web.xml it
> still seems to work
> fine for both Jetty and Tomcat.
>
> So there are a few options here:
>
> 1) Crack open
> geronimo-servlet-examples-tomcat-5.5.12.war in
> ibiblio
> and remove the invoker reference.
> If we do this we should also remove the following
> reference from the
> jsp-examples main page: "These examples will only
> work when these pages
> are being served by a servlet engine; of course, we
> recommend Tomcat"
>
> We can do this ourselves or ask Tomcat to do it..
>
> 2) Only make the example(s) available on Tomcat
> distributions.
>
> 3) Install on Jetty and live with the "WARNING: Some
> GBeans were not
> started successfully:" Or find a way to ignore
> and/or suppress the
> WARNING.
>
> 4) Figure out a way to leverage the invoker servlet
> in Jetty.  It seems
> they do have one.  Is the web.xml syntax different?
>
> Thanks
> -Dave-
>
> David Jencks wrote:
> > There's already a jira to point out that the jetty
> builder doesn't
> > check referential integrity of web.xml.  Could you
> check that the
> > web.xml is actually consistent?
> >
> > thanks
> > david jencks
> >
> > On Dec 5, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> >
> >> If there is no servlet name=invoker in the debug
> tool, then it seems
> >> like during WAR deployment we've constructed a
> GBean that depends on
> >> another GBean that doesn't exist, and I think you
> should definitely
> >> create a JIRA for that!
> >>
> >> Aaron

> Waiting to start

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Se

Filter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/

> Servlet matching the

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,WebModule=geronimo/

> car,j2eeType=Servlet,name=invoker

> running and check for
> reference name is just a

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Ser

vletMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,URLPattern="/servlet/

\*",WebFilter=PathMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-

jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping[starting]

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/geronimo/wars/geronimo-servlet-

> attachment in the

> examples
=== message truncated ===