geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <eljo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HEAD is going to be...?
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2006 00:22:41 GMT
2005/12/31, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>:
> Is the current HEAD going to be 1.0.1 or 1.1 or 2.0?

Hi Aaron,

I think it might become 1.1 and if a bug fix comes in it would make it 1.0.1.

> I'm trying to think about what features ought to go where, in terms of
> HEAD, the 1.0 branch, etc.
>
> I think I'd prefer that 1.0.1 be bug fixes only and go into the 1.0
> branch, and that HEAD get minor new features and become 1.1 (in, say,
> a 3-month time frame), and we target major new features like XBean or
> EJB 3 or anything else like that for a subsequent 2.0 (in, say, a 6
> month time frame).  I'd lean toward the new CORBA not going into 1.1,
> since I don't think it'll be ready in time, but I'd be happy to be
> corrected.  :)

Yes, that would be exactly what I wish to see happening. The time
showed that it's very hard to manage the 3-months period, but it's
worth to try again. I'm not sure about the 6-months period when
Geronimo 2.0 would eventually show up. I think it's too short, and
before it happens two or three mid-releases (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3) would
probably be well-received by our community. I think these mid-releases
seem to be (perceived as) less painful and would allow features be
available sooner.

>     Aaron

Jacek