geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Installer -- Phase 2
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:06:51 GMT

On Dec 19, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Erik Daughtrey wrote:

> The next phase of the installer is supposed to only install selected
> components as well as activating them in config.xml.  Currently, the
> installer installs all components and modifies config.xml to only
> start those
> selected at install time.
>
> My current plan is to make this an optional feature by adding
> somthing like a
> "Lean install" pack that can be selected.  This way folks who
> happen to want
> everything installed, but only some parts configured can have the
> current
> functionality.
>
> Does anyone vehemently disagree with this approach?

I think the maximum flexibility would come with:

check boxes on the first page select which configurations are
actually included in the installed server.
check boxes (?? or something) on configuration-specific page controls
whether the configuration is turned on (load="true"/"false") in
config.xml.

Would this be too hard to use?

thanks
david jencks