geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat samples installation
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:11:32 GMT

On Nov 18, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> I've made the necessary changes to move the tomcat examples from the
> geronimo repo and have them pre-installed into the generated binary
> images as default example applications.
>
> Specifically,
>
>  - updated /modules/assembly/project.xml dependencies to find the new
> wars
>  - updated /modules/assembly/maven.xml to rename the wars (i.e.
> removed the version info from the filename). This is in lieu of a plan
> file.
>  - updated /modules/assembly/maven.xml to deploy:distribute the wars
>  - updated /modules/assembly/src/var/config/config*.xml to include the
> configuration name of the examples.
>
> A few questions before I submit the patch..
>
> Have the recent/impending changes to the assembly process by David J
> changed the way we pre-install applications/configs? IIRC, there was
> some mention of more granular choice for configurations.

Definitely.  Each war file needs a project under configs for each
container you want it to be deployed to.  You should supply a plan file
with the correct namespace for the container, and you should not remove
the version from the file name.

Then the assemblies project.xml's need to include the resulting cars as
dependencies with the appropriate maven property so they will get
included in the server.

> Is the following a correct setting for config.xml for both Jetty and
> Tomcat?
>
>   <configuration name="servlets-examples"/>

no, this will be something like
org.apache.geronimo/cars/jetty-servlet-examples-1.0-SNAPSHOT.car

> BTW, servlets-examples is the name that was used for the
> deploy:distribute.  No geronimo deployment plan is used.
>

> There does seem to be an error during startup on Jetty (though it
> works fine on Tomcat).
>
>    WARNING: Some GBeans were not started successfully:
>
> geronimo.server:J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,URLPattern="/
> servlet/\*",WebFilter=Path
> MappedFilter,WebModule=servlets-
> examples,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping(starting)
> geronimo.server:
> J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Serv
> let
> MappedFilter,WebModule=servlets-
> examples,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping(starting)
>
> Though the server starts fine and
> http://localhost:8080/servlets-examples seem to work fine.
>
> Actually, I see the same error during startup even when I manually
> deploy the example on jetty.  Any thoughts on how to track down?  Is a
> deployment plan required?

A deployment plan shouldn't affect this.  You should be able to figure
out what went wrong by searching geronimo.log backwards for these
object names.  Make sure your log level is set to debug.

thanks
david jencks