geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Possible problems with maven-style configIds WAS: Warning of change in configId format
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:27:54 GMT

On Nov 23, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2005, at 1:58 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> I've investigated this a little bit and think it might be  too big a
>> lurch in a new direction for 1.0.  Here are a few of the things that
>> would have to change or appear to be problems:
>>
>> 1. constructing the configId from groupId + artifactId + version +
>> type.  This is pretty easy.
>> 2. finding stuff in a repo and/or config store from the configId.
>> This is fairly easy
>> 3. Constructing the ObjectNames that include the configId in
>> J2EEApplication and/or J2EEModule.  This requires quoting the
>> configId which is a big pain and is apt to cause  difficulties
>> everywhere.
>> 4. We have been using URI for the configIds internally.  I think if
>> we use this new format this should change.  The : character appears
>> to have a specific meaning in URIs and it is decidedly different from
>> what we are meaning by it.  We could perhaps introduce a scheme and
>> write
>> configid:groupId:artifactId:version:type.  I could not tell from a
>> bit of research on URIs whether this is consistent with their
>> intended semantics.  Does it make sense to have URIs of this form?
>> Should we just change our configId type to something else?
>>
>> At this point I think we need more discussion before we proceed along
>> this route.  I have some of it implemented.... please speak up.
>
> My opinion, is we don't make incompatible changes between major
> releases, so if we decide not to do this now, it will be harder to do
> it later.
>
> Anyway, I see your point, so lets talk about what changes you want to
> implement pre-1.0?
>
> If you are changing the configuration ids, I'd like to make sure the
> format is something we can easily parse into groupId, artifactId and
> version.  For example, we could go with:
>
> org.apache.geronimo/j2ee-server/1.0

Should we change our dependency URIs to the same format?  I'm inclined
to think we should.  I would prefer to include the type (car|jar) for
completeness and to distinguish dependencies from configIds.

So I think this format proposal takes care of (3) and (4) and I already
implemented (1) and (2) although with the : separator.  I'm not sure if
this format might cause confusion anywhere between a resolvable path
URI and this more abstract configId format.

> Are there any other changes of note?

Using the plugins rather than tons of jelly is a big change, but I'm
not sure what else might be a change "of note".  Also for a while now
the plugin-based build has been extracting dependency info from
project.xml rather than requiring you to duplicate it.

thanks
david jencks