geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Validation of plans during deployment
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:44:54 GMT

On Nov 28, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Manu George wrote:

> Hi David,
>               Won't it be better to validate in both the cases to take
> care of the unusual situations you mentioned? Is there any specific
> reason why the validation is not done in the second case?

I don't see how we could do any meaningful validation.  You can name
any gbean in any configuration anything you want, including giving it a
name that appears to be from a different configuration.  AFAIK all the
names constructed from the "name" form are valid object/gbean names.

To see why we can't assume that the gbean referenced is available in
the server at deployment time, consider 2 ears A and B.  A has some cmp
ejbs, however the datasource they use are in B, as is a web app that
uses the ejbs.  If you deploy A first, the datasource is not available
for the cmp beans.  If you deploy B first, the ejbs are not available
for the web app.  One or the other can't use a resolution method that
requires the gbean to be present at the time of resolution

thanks
david jencks