geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject ClassLoader memory leaks
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:56:52 GMT
I've been battling a variety of ClassLoader-based memory leaks that occur
during the deploy/undeploy of DayTrader. With the patches for the following
problems, I no longer see MultiParentClassLoaders being leaked:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1125 (patch just posted)
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1118 (fix committed)
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2232 (Old patch didn't fix the
problem. I've attached a new patch that fixes the problem. Yet to be
committed)
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2278 (Fix committed, but not
picked up by Geronimo build)

Deployment of DayTrader is still leaking memory (but only 200 kbytes per
deploy/undeploy cycle. "only" is a relative term... ;-). So, there's still
work to be done.

Finally, there is an intermittent problem which will cause a Thread to
temporarily hold on to a ClassLoader. Since the problem is intermittent and
temporary, I'm not actively pursuing. I'll document the problem in a jira,
but here's the chain of references keeping the ClassLoader alive... The
Thread is in the RMI Runtime ThreadGroup.

java.lang.Thread.inheritedAccessControlContext -->
java.security.AccessControlContext.context -->
java.security.ProtectionDomain[4] -->
java.security.ProtectionDomain.classLoader -->
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.MultiParentClassLoader

--kevan