geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: loose ends: is deployment plan a secret?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:17:03 GMT
This seems like a good idea to me, but I'm missing a lot of the picture
about how it will work and what else is needed.

Lets take a db pool as an example, with a username/password  to get the
connections.  We store the password in the safe.  So, when the db pool
gbean (connection manager) starts, it needs to access the safe to get
the password.  How does the safe trust the gbean?  The only way I can
see is if the server is started as some kind of admin user, using a
credential of some kind such as a command line password.   I've thought
for a long time that we needed "gbean permissions" of some kind.  Would
accessing the safe require permissions or be a login-type operation?
With enough permissions, do we need a safe at all?

I'd like to know more :-)

thanks
david jencks