geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From si...@godik.com
Subject loose ends: is deployment plan a secret?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:59:43 GMT
An idea of including deployment plan into configuration was kicked around for some time now.
I think that each configuration should include deployment plan.

By itself, deployment plan is not a secret and as such it should not contain sensitive data
that we do not want to disclose (passwords etc).

So the idea would be not to hide deployment plan, but to externalize sensitive data.

One way to externalize sensitive data is to have a "vault" gbean that can implement different
qos vis keeping a secret, and have a reference to this vault  in the deployment plan together
with some alias to the secret in the vault:

<reference name="vault">bla</reference>
<attribute name="alias">myconfig.id.password</attribute>

Vault by itself can provide different qos. The simpliest case is to have a file with all secrets
in it and to install it in a secure location. One step up would be to assign a master key
to the geronimo server at the deployment time, put it in a secure location and use it to encrypt
all other secrets. And so on...

If there is enough interest in this I can put it together

Simon